Target hardening is one of the best ways to protect property and life. It helps make structures safer and prevents infiltration from outsiders. Target hardening examples can be complex or simple. From adding specialty locks and alarm systems to signs or high shrubbery, these different techniques are all designed to create a line of defense that a potential thief or criminal will encounter at first glance. The more of a challenge a criminal sees, the faster they will think twice and choose another target.
When implementing target hardening methods, one of the best things you can do is conduct a threat and vulnerability assessment. This helps assess the threats, vulnerabilities, and risks of a property or structure. This includes a detailed report of the current layout, functionality, existing processes, countermeasures, and vulnerabilities. Under the target hardening definition, what does these mean?
- Threats can result in harm through spyware or other malware. The company can also be damaged by employees who are disgruntled or are leaving.
- Vulnerability causes weaknesses and gaps within the current infrastructure compromising its integrity. This helps thieves unauthorized access.
- Risk is where threats and vulnerabilities overlap. This is the most dangerous, as vulnerable systems allow threats to manifest and occur.
This assessment is part of a critical infrastructure protection strategy. Hardening the target is essential in making sure your organization is protected at all times. A strong program entails testing and cooperation from everyone. There is a definitive process to follow:
- Implement a regular schedule of penetration testing
- Make sure all patches are updated on a consistent basis
- Make sure all IT assets and networks are accounted for
- Get all threat intel feds
- Learn and understand vulnerabilities to work on them
- Visualize the data for deeper understanding
- Use the right tools
- Add any needed remediation clauses to all policies or procedures
Target hardening examples
There are multiple target hardening examples that can be used. Depending on the structure and landscape, there are multiple measures that can and should be implemented. These include:
- Physical barriers
Physical barriers help prevent entry. These include shutters, fencing, locks, alarms, and access control.
- Observational enhancements
These include using a variety of cameras in different locations and an active surveillance system.
- Cybersecurity interventions
This includes firewalls, intrusion alert systems, and the use of best practices in logon management.
- Visible human resources
Patrolling the site by uniformed guards.
These types of target hardening measures should be done with a professional team well-versed in this area to make sure every area is addressed.
Contact Kontek Industries
When you’re ready to work with a professional team that understands the value of target hardening, look no further than the team from Kontek Industries. We do work in Security & Defense, Critical Infrastructure, and Custom Fabrication. Target hardening is one of our specialties. We create, design, manufacture, and implement holistic target hardening solutions to protect structures from physical attacks. For more information on how we can help your organization, contact a team member today.